Workers Comp MPN
Q: What is an MPN?
A: A medical provider network (MPN) is a network of providers, including physicians, created to provide medical treatment for work injuries of employees in California. MPNs are created by payors (self-insured employers or workers' compensation insurers) and must be approved by the California Division of Workers' Compensation (DWC). Unless exempted by law or the employer, all medical care for workers injured on the job whose employer has an approved MPN will be handled and provided through the MPN. [8 CCR § 9767.1 et seq.]
It is not legally mandated to have an MPN, but if the employer has one, unless the employee predesignates a physician of choice before any injury, all employees must use the MPN.
Q: I’m in an MPN and disagree with the treatment my doctor has recommended. What can I do?
A: If you disagree with your MPN doctor about your diagnosis or treatment, you do NOT go to a QME – you have other options. You can change to another physician on the MPN list. You can also ask for a 2nd and 3rd opinion from a different MPN doctor. If you still disagree, you can have an independent medical review (IMR) to resolve the dispute. See the information on your MPN provided by your employer.
(source: DWC Factsheet E)
Below are some quick links to our direct carriers and other useful websites. To report CLAIMS directly to carrier, go directly to their website.
- Travelers www.travelers.com
- The Hartford www.thehartford.com
- Golden Eagle Corp www.goldeneagle-ins.com
- CHUBB www.chubb.com
- Fireman's Fund www.firemansfund.com
- OneBeacon www.onebeacon.com
- State Fund www.scif.com
- Employers www.eig.com
- AIG www.aig.com
- Safeco www.safeco.com
- CNA www.cna.com
- Republic Indemnity www.republicindemnity.com
- Sequoia www.sequoiains.com
- Magna Carta, Public Service Mutual www.mcarta.com
- Century National www.centurynational.com
- Progressive www.progressive.com
- ACE USA www.aceusa.com
- Zurich www.zurichna.com
- Everest National www.everestre.com
- FirstComp www.firstcomp.com
- TOPA www.topa.com
Other useful sites:
- Department of Insurance
- A.M. Best
- Translator for medical terms
- Insurance Glossary
- The Council of Insurance Agents & Brokers
- OSHA SIC Search
- WCIRB – Go to the “EMPLOYERS” section (more helpful.)